Planning a trip to Disney World and looking for some fun Disney themed learning? Get your kids excited to spell with Disney spelling activities.
I created 4 pages of free grade 1 Magic Kingdom spelling activities. This includes:
- a Magic Kingdom themed crossword puzzle
- a spelling game
- worksheets to help learn the spellings of 8 first grade Magic Kingdom themed words
Grade 1 Magic Kingdom Words
There are 8 Magic Kingdom themed grade 1 spelling words studied in the puzzles and activities. They allow for a fun way to work on learning the spellings of these words. The words are:
Magic Kingdom Themed Crossword Puzzle
The first printable is a kid friendly Magic Kingdom inspired crossword puzzle:
Afterwards, the completed crossword puzzle can then be used to play a Magic Kingdom themed spelling game.
Magic Kingdom Themed Spelling Game
This game is a fun way to practice spelling words. It is inspired by Scrabble Jr. but somewhat different.
- 2+ players
- Each player needs a copy of the game card to play with. (I usually use the one my daughter filled in and print off a pre-done version for her to use.) Make sure to print these game cards at 100% (page scaling set to none).
- The game was designed to fit scrabble tiles, so if you have a scrabble game at home, you can use those tiles.
- Before playing the first time, you need to make sure you have all the letters needed to complete the game cards being played. If you have only one set of scrabble letters for 2 people, then you most likely won’t have enough of certain letters
- to solve, set aside all the letters that are not used in the game (f, h, j, o, q, r, t, v – z)
- I found it very easy to simply cut a couple of mailing labels (1 label gave me 8 sticky white pieces). It was quite easy to peel and stick each piece on the back of these non used scrabble tiles and then write any letters needed.
- For a 2 person game sharing one set of tiles, you will need to make an extra: 2 B’s, 2 D’s, 1 K, 6 L’s and 4 M’s
The rules of the game:
- Each player begins with 7 letters.
- Players take turns, and on their turn they can place any 2 letters of a single word on their game card. On each turn, they can work on any word on their card. They don’t need to complete a word before beginning another.
- If a word only needs 1 letter to be completed, then they will just use 1 letter for their turn.
- At the end of their turn, they pick up new letters to replace the ones they’ve used. They should have 7 letters.
- If a player doesn’t have the letters needed to play, then their turn is exchanging any 2 of their letters for another 2 from the pile. They could also make the decision to completely change all their letters, and that will be their turn.
- When the first person completes all their words, the game immediately ends.
- The object of the game is have the highest amount of points at the end of the game.
- The first player to complete a word gets a point value based on amount of letters of their word (i.e. 9 letter word = 9 points). All other players that later complete that same word only get 2 points for completing the word. The player to complete all their words gets 2 bonus points.
Magic Kingdom Themed Spelling Worksheets
In our family, I find it works best if I keep spelling sessions short. We will often do more than one session in a day tho, just at different times.
I also prefer to have an advanced plan in mind. This is the plan I used with my daughter:
Lesson Plan Idea
Session 1 – Crossword Puzzle
Session 2 – Magic Kingdom Words Study printable
Session 3 – Spelling Game
Session 4 – Magic Kingdom Words #1
Session 5 – Magic Kingdom Words #2
Session 6 – Magic Kingdom Words #3
Session 7 – Magic Kingdom Words #4
Session 8 – dictate spelling words on a lined paper
Magic Kingdom Words Study Printable
Magic Kingdom Words Spelling Practice
The final worksheet with Magic Kingdom Words #1, 2, 3 & 4, can be cut along the dotted lines into its 4 parts.
Each part has all 8 spelling words with varying amounts of missing letters in each word. This allows the child to:
- work on sounding out each word
- learn the letters of the missing sounds
- gradually have learnt the spelling of the words
The words are to be dictated by the parent / teacher.
To download all 4 free printable Magic Kingdom themed worksheets, subscribe to our email list below and you’ll have instant access.