These themed Grade 2 spelling words will help make spelling a little more interesting for your second grader.
Themed Spelling Lists
Instead of learning a random list of words, themes help make things a little bit more exciting.
It also allows for the possibility of incorporating other forms of learning using the weeks theme. For example:
- reading children’s books that would go along with the weekly theme
- different writing activities (stories, postcards, recipes, etc.)
This can make for easier learning when the child is reading and using the words in other ways.
The 36 weekly spelling themes for these grade 2 spelling words are:
- Back to School
- ER, IR & OR (R Controlled Vowels)
- Long E Sound
- Long I Sound
- Long A Sound
- Hard C / Soft C
- _ILD, _OLT, _OLD & _UST
- Long O Sound
- Human Body – The Face
- AR & UR (R Controlled Vowels)
- Disney Movies
- Letters / Cards
- Hard G / Soft G
- Long U Sound
- Fairy Tales
- The Three Little Pigs
- The Sky
- _IND & _OST
About these Grade 2 Spelling Words
- 36 weeks of words, 10 words per week
- Of the 360 words, 237 of them are Fry words. 96 of the words are Dolch words.
- If you add the 174 Fry words from the first grade spelling words, it means by the end of the second grade, your child will have learned the spellings of 411 Fry words + 269 additional words.
- spelling lists are secular
You can download the themed lists of grade 2 spelling words below, completely free.
Are you’re looking for spelling lists for another grade?
In the works is spelling curriculum for Grades 1 – 6 that uses these weekly words.