These themed Grade 2 spelling words will help make spelling a little more interesting for your second grader.
Themed Spelling Lists
Instead of learning a random list of words, themes help make things a little bit more exciting.
It also allows for the possibility of incorporating other forms of learning using the weeks’ theme. For example:
- reading children’s books that would go along with the weekly theme
- different writing activities (stories, postcards, recipes, etc.)
This can make for easier learning when the child is reading and using the words in other ways.
Here are the 36 weekly spelling themes for these 2nd grade spelling words.
Some of the themes below are linked to the weekly spelling list or spelling worksheets or activities that go along with the theme.
- Back to School
- ER, IR & OR (R Controlled Vowels)
- Long E Sound
- Long I Sound
- Long A Sound
- Hard C / Soft C
- _ILD, _OLT, _OLD & _UST
- Long O Sound
- Human Body – The Face
- AR & UR (R Controlled Vowels)
- Disney Movies
- Letters / Cards
- Hard G / Soft G
- Long U Sound
- Fairy Tales
- The Three Little Pigs
- The Sky
- _IND & _OST
About these Grade 2 Spelling Words
These themed word lists are a great resource for teachers, students and parents teaching their children at home.
- a themed weekly list for 36 weeks
- english words are at a grade 2 level
- 10 words per week
- Of the 360 words, 237 of them are Fry words. 96 of the words are Dolch words.
- If you add the 174 Fry words from the first grade spelling words, it means by the end of the second grade, your student will have learned the spellings of 411 Fry words + 269 additional words.
- spelling lists are secular
You can download a printable .pdf of the 2nd grade master spelling list below, completely free.
Are you’re looking for spelling lists for another grade? Here are spelling word lists for other elementary grade levels:
In the works is spelling curriculum for Grades 1 – 6 that uses these weekly words.