Here are Grade 5 spelling words that use weekly themes to make spelling more enjoyable for kids.
Themed Spelling Lists
Themed spelling lists have a lot of benefits.
Possibly one of the most obvious is that it adds some fun and keeps things more interesting, each week being different than the previous.
When something is more fun, it naturally makes learning easier and kids are more motivated to learn the spellings.
There’s also the possibility of combining other activities to go along with a week’s theme.
For example, in grade 5, students usually learn about the water cycle in Science class. This would be a great time to study the “Water” theme words as they contain a lot of the vocabulary used when learning about the water cycle.
When we’re able to build connections to real life learning, it helps with spelling, because the words stop becoming just random words to learn to spell. Instead the words will have more meaning behind them as students are able to work with them in their context.
Weekly Spelling Themes
The grade 5 spelling words have 36 weekly themes. They are:
- Back to School
- Mixed Bag of Words
- Silent Consonants
- Human Body
- Loud & Quiet
- Multiplication & Division
- It’s A Party
About these Grade 5 Spelling Words
- 36 weeks of words, 15 words per week
- Of the 540 words, 133 of them are Fry words. 3 of the words are Dolch words.
- By the end of fifth grade (having previously completed the spelling lists of grade 1 thru 4), your child will have learned the spellings of 898 Fry words + 1256 additional words for a total of 2154 words. 307 of the words learned will have been Dolch words.
- all spelling lists are secular
The printable spelling lists of themed grade 5 spelling words can be downloaded below.
Are you looking for a different grade?