It’s nearly apple picking season, one of my favourite times of the year! It’s also the time of year where I usually include some apple themed learning to our homeschool. Our Grade 1 apple unit includes:
- 2 apple themed crossword puzzles
- a first grade word search puzzle
- apple themed spelling activities
Grade 1 Apple Words
There are 20 Grade 1 apple words used in the puzzles and activities. They present a fun way to work on learning the spellings of these words. The words are:
Apple Themed First Grade Word Search Puzzle
An apple-shaped crossword puzzle is a fun way to work with these Grade 1 words.
Apple Themed Crossword Puzzles
There are 2 kid friendly crossword puzzles.
The finished crossword puzzles can then be used to play an apple themed spelling game.
Apple Themed Spelling Game
This game is a fun way to practice spelling words. It is inspired by Scrabble Jr. but somewhat different.
- 2+ players
- Each player needs a copy of the same game card to play with. (I usually use the one my daughter filled in and print off a pre-done version for her to use.) Make sure to print these game cards at 100% (page scaling set to none).
- The game was designed to fit scrabble tiles, so if you have a scrabble game at home, you can use those tiles.
- Before playing the first time, you need to make sure you have all the letters needed to complete the game cards being played. You or your child can use the scrabble letters to cover each space on each board being played. There’s a good chance you will not have enough of certain letters. To solve this, I set aside all the letters that were not used in the game (like X’s, Z’s, etc.) Then I cut a couple of mailing labels (1 label gave me 8 sticky white pieces). It was quite easy to peel and stick each piece on the back of these scrabble tiles and then write any letters needed.
The rules of the game:
- Each player begins with 7 letters.
- Players take turns, and on their turn they can place any 2 letters of a single word on their game card. On each turn, they can work on any word on their card. They don’t need to complete a word before beginning another.
- If a word only needs 1 letter to be completed, then they will just use 1 letter for their turn.
- At the end of their turn, they pick up new letters to replace the ones they’ve used. They should have 7 letters.
- If a player doesn’t have the letters needed to play, then their turn is exchanging any 2 of their letters for another 2 from the pile. They could also make the decision to completely change all their letters, and that will be their turn.
- When the first person completes all their words, the game immediately ends.
- The object of the game is have the highest amount of points at the end of the game.
- The first player to complete a word gets a point value based on amount of letters of their word (i.e. 9 letter word = 9 points). All other players that later complete that same word only get 2 points for completing the word. The player to complete all their words gets 5 bonus points.
Grade 1 Spelling Worksheets
There are 5 days worth of additional spelling practice of these Grade 1 apple words. Days 1 – 4 work on 13 words at a time. For each word, some of the letters are given and some are missing. This allows them to work on sounding out each word and learn the letters of the missing sounds. The words are to be dictated by the parent / teacher.
My daughter did not mind doing this at all. It didn’t take her long and helped quite a bit in the goal of learning the spellings.
The final day 5 includes all 20 words.
To download all 8 free apple printable worksheets, subscribe to our email list below and you’ll have instant access.
Have a student in a different grade? If you have a third grader see “Apple Themed Spelling Activities for Grade 3.”
Looking for some more apple themed worksheets? Check out these skip counting worksheets.