Word puzzles are fun, educational, and a great activity for kids to do during the summer months.
For the next 2 weeks, I will be posting new word puzzles for kids each day (M-F). Check back daily for more printable puzzles.
There will be 6 different types of word puzzles:
- word searches
- crossword puzzles
- word scrambles
- fill-in puzzles
- word shape puzzles
Benefits of Word Puzzles
When I was a kid, I absolutely loved doing word puzzles. I would sit in a hammock, or in a chair around the campfire and found it so relaxing to work on a puzzle.
I did them for fun, but there are some other real benefits to word puzzles for kids. A word puzzle:
- can help keep kids brains active and engaged, which helps reduce summer slide
- introduces and expands vocabulary
- improves spelling
- enhances logic and problem solving skills
- helps self esteem when they succeed in solving a puzzle
- can aid reading ability
- is portable and easy to take anywhere or anytime you need to keep your child occupied and quiet for a few minutes
10 Days Series
For the next 10 days, I will bring you a collection of printable word puzzles for kids.
Day 1 – Fill-In Puzzles
Day 1 begins with these fun summer themed fill in puzzles!
Day 2 – Word Search
Here’s a fun printable activity to take with you on your next camping trip or backyard bonfire: a campfire camping word search.
Day 3 – Cryptograms
Challenge your 4th grade and older children with these Disney movie themed cryptogram puzzles for kids
Day 4 – Word Shape Puzzles
For elementary aged students in the early grades, here are 2 letter writing and mail themed word shape puzzles.
Day 5 – Word Search
Either to celebrate the eagerly anticipated summer vacation, or as a relaxing activity during summer, here is a summer holidays word search for kids.
Day 6 – Crossword Puzzles
A space themed crossword puzzles for kids in grades 5 or 6 – or older.
Day 7 – Word Scramble
An African Safari animals word scramble for kids in grades 4 and up.
Many of the jumbled words are African animals that are 4th grade spelling words. This would be a fun worksheet to help kids work on the spelling of these words.
Day 8 – Fill In Puzzle
Day 9 – Word Search
Day 10 – Crossword Puzzle
A summer crossword puzzle for students around 6th grade.
But the fun doesn’t stop there!
I’ve joined up with 17 other homeschooling moms and bloggers to bring you this series with a variety of activities, printables, tips and encouragement for homeschooling families. Join us for 10 days of:
- Health Worksheets for Kids by Living Life and Learning
- Homeschooling and Parenting Encouragement by Simple at Home
- DIY Summer Camp at Home by Forgetful Momma
- Preparing Teenagers for Work by Living Ideas
- Free Unit Studies for Summer Homeschooling by Faith & Good Works
- Teaching Independent Learning by A Net in Time
- Preschool Science Social Study Themes by This Crafty Mom
- Dinosaur Printables by Preschool Powol Packets
- Hands-On Learning Activities for Kids by Mama Smiles
- Time Saving Hacks for Busy Moms by Purposeful Motherhood
- Nature Study by Heart and Soul Homeschooling
- Free Homeschool Curriculum by Subject by Life in the Nerddom
- A No Stress Home Management Binder by No Stress Homeschooling
- Ways You Can Nurture Artists in your Home by Beyond the Stick Figure
- Planning for High School by This Life of Ours
- Learning with Nature by Wonder-filled Days
- Ways to Teach History by Beyond Mommying
This giveaway is now over and the winners will be chosen and contacted.
The winners will receive a $100 gift card from the place of their choice. They can choose from:
- Rainbow Resource
- Hobby Lobby
- Christian Books
The winners will be notified by email and will have 48 hours to respond to claim their prize or else another winner will be chosen.